Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives. ~Amy Sedaris



Monday, July 19, 2010

Marquise De Sevigne Chocolate Noir with Lemon Ganache


51%. 51%? Really? You're kidding me. 'Noir' my ass.
What I thought this bar would be was rich creamiest of dark chocolate. Amazing, and perfect, and fluid, and french-shut-the-door-and-be-alone-together good. I imagined it to be smooth with a citrus flavor that ran throughout.
So I pulled the tiny tab off the bar and slid out the foil and broke off a piece. Melting already in my fingers I took a whif. Not so much lemony, that whiff.
I took a bite.
What the?????
Filling.
I immediately thought, Russell Stovers. Something out of those heart shaped red reflective boxes at Valentines day. Old lady chocolate. I checked the bar again to understand my mistake... 'With LEMON GANACHE' it says there in all caps. 'Foure DOUCEUR CITRON' it reapeats in french. I see how it's gonna be. The box is very beautiful. It is imported from paris...I could see myself buying this.

So the ganache slides between two other layers of chocolate. Not very dark chocolatey chocolate...and the cocoa content is not disclosed at all. Somewhere at the bottom it says 'Cocoa: 51min'. Hmmmm...

This bar was gift from my brother who I love very dearly and who is very supportive of me- but has a fantastic sense of honesty and objectivity and who I know will not at all mind this criticism. He did mention this bar comes from 'Chocolate Secret', a shop off of Oak Lawn who he mentioned does this fabulous wine, cheese, and chocolate gift basket ensamble which I might get for christmas if I am very good. That shop might be the silver lining to this story....

I've just breezed over to the website for a look, and it seems very trendy and a cool place for me to take a field trip someday. I am truely facinated by the photo of the woman in a white fluffy spa robe closing her eyes and taking a bite of something chocolate. They seem to know my heart at this Chocolate Secret...but the 'Marquise' did not.

I've got a few more bars that my brother gave me from this same manufacturer...so we'll see. It won't be their last chance to impress me...

No comments:

Post a Comment