Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives. ~Amy Sedaris



Friday, August 13, 2010

Askinosie Chocolate



Another example of how chocolate is food. But not lunch I'm being told again and again...
I love the concept of this bar...it's so....'personal'. There is the usual lot #, and origin notes. Then, see the picture of the cute little ecuadorian man on the package? That's Vitaliano Saravia, lead farmer of the beans in, and on, and around this bar. He's got serious latin eyes, and a strong confident mustache, and his hands are square on his hips as if to say 'I work my fingers to the bare bone so you can enjoy the bar, Gringa! So, be passionate with the bar, share the bar with your loved ones, and now that we are friends let us party like the rock star party with the village!'

The front of the bar has a letter for each piece that come together spell askinosie. The back is covered in 'crunchy cocoa Nibs'. Precious raw chocolate pieces that dot the backside. The effects of eating this are much like munching on chocolate covered espresso beans, and in fact 'cacao' or 'coca??' SHAZAM! I'm productive today!
I love the website of this bar too. The founder of this company, Shawn Askinosie gives 10% to the actual farmers of the chocolate used in this bar. He calls this 'a stake in the outcome'. The website documents his personal experiences in Mexico and Ecuador and the people who help him and his company be sucessful. It is beautiful, and humble and has a handmade quality that is still very professional and artistic both. I wish I was him. His phone number is on the bar, and I'm thinking about calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment